Florida Real Estate Investing Tips
My Florida real estate investing tips may surprise you a bit - even though I am a hard boiled, numbers driven investor, this location of choice real estate investing opportunity is near and dear to my heart! I say it every day: "Live where you wish and invest where it is best."
My Wife and I moved to Florida a little over 8 years ago and we do love it here. I believe every person who has a desire to, should own real estate in Florida. Fortunately the new lower price points brought on by the bubble and global economy has given new opportunities that many thought were gone forever. The rapid price increase that was happening in the early 2000’s was a sure dream buster in many people's eyes.
Many people use Florida as a place to own a second home or vacation property and there are many awesome reasons to do so. Anywhere you live in Florida you are within about an hours drive to some kind of beaches. We have some of the best golfing, best weather and more entertainment options than probably any area in the country and possibly the world.
There are many reasons people have to invest here in Florida. Based on the numerous phone calls and conversations I have daily, I thought I would share a few tips to consider when making your Florida real estate investment:
- Know exactly what you want to get from your investment or purchase before looking at any Florida investment property for sale. Most people decide they want to invest in Florida for the great attractions it offers and then start immediately start shopping houses. They find a great house only later to learn the best place for them to live is actually in another area of the state.
- Start by making a list of what you will do with the property and, if it is a second home, what do you like to do, what attribute does the immediate location need to provide to make you happy. Consider things like activities, lifestyles, do you want close proximity to airports, beaches, golfing, etc. The more you know about what you want the easier it is to find the right property. All decision makers should be involved in this process.
Now, armed with this info, you can better determine where within the state of Florida will accommodate your wishes. But you are only at the beginning, next the investment aspect.
If this is a home you will retire to in the long term, the investment aspect may not be so important. But, if you plan to liquidate someday, you will want to focus on the value play. With your specific areas identified, you must now determine which of those areas can sustain growth the best.
- Metro areas where employment is growing will have a much higher probability of generating higher returns on resale. So do your diligence on job growth.
- Population growth.
- Areas that are the most undervalued (these areas have the furthest to grow).
- Areas that are not highly consumed by investors. These areas become more volatile during economic uncertainties.
- Areas that have enough population to generate enough job diversity to sustain economic security during hard times.
- Homes with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths are the largest demand and represent the best capital growth when selling.
The short of it is, if this is not your primary residence, look at it like an investment. Shopping for the property should not happen until you and your fellow decision maker identify exactly what you want, and how it will sustain itself in the long term.
We KNOW that the biggest problem investors have is finding current, active listings that are available for sale RIGHT NOW. Our list is updated weekly and has ONLY currently listed US Investment Properties for sale.